250 N Wickham Road
Melbourne, FL 32935
Melbourne Regional Medical Center offers medical expertise and advanced diagnostic capabilities to treat urinary tract conditions. Our board-certified urologists are well equipped to treat a full range of conditions, from routine complaints to prostate cancer, including minimally invasive brachytherapy treatment.
We provide expert diagnosis and treatment for a variety of conditions, including:
- Erectile dysfunction
- Prostate and urinary tract cancers
- Urinary incontinence
- Urinary stones
According to the American Cancer Society, prostate cancer is the most common type of cancer found in American men, other than skin cancer, with one in six men developing the disease within their lifetime. Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in men, behind only lung cancer. Early detection offers the best opportunity for successful treatment, so talk to your doctor about what exams and screenings are appropriate for you.
Our cancer care team utilizes the latest diagnostic technology to detect cancer at its earliest stages. Doctors often combine more than one therapy to treat prostate cancer, such as:
- Active surveillance: For men who do not undergo surgery, doctors may increase monitoring through more frequent prostate-specific antigen (PSA) tests, digital rectal exams and biopsies.
- Chemotherapy: Anti-cancer medications can be used when cancer has spread outside the prostate gland.
- Cryosurgery: Also called cryotherapy or cryoablation, this technique is sometimes used to treat localized prostate cancer by freezing diseased tissue.
- Hormone therapy: Lowering the levels of male hormones, mainly testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT), can make prostate cancers shrink or grow more slowly.
- Radiation therapy: Doctors may utilize external-beam or internal methods, including brachytherapy.